Thursday, February 18, 2010

I've learned in MMA class today that you will never get better at fighting if you do not constantly engage in it.  The only practice for fighting is actual combat itself.  There is no substitute.  That is the only way you will know what it means to wage battle with the calmest of hearts.  Bravery & confidence cannot be conjured by sheer will.  It comes only thru experience & no where else.  The only way to get stronger is to constantly exercise, the only way to get better is to always show up to every single class to develop the muscle memory & instinctive defensive responses necessary to protect yourself.  My Sifu Luigi declared to all of us in his constructive announcement, "There is only one way to assess yourself & discover your weaknesses and that's thru sparring.  That's it.  It's that simple.  So if your hands & feet aren't good enough & well-coordinated, then you gotta take up more Muay Thai!  If your feet are too slow & you're don't feel confident with your kicks, then you gotta take more Savate!  That's it.  Alright, everyone.  Good class."

I signed up to MMA last year & I was afraid for the most of the year.  Intimidated.  Shell-shocked.  However, not anymore.  Now I am smarter.  My Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu instructor scolded us playfully yesterday evening, but we all knew his words were serious when he spoke, "I don't like this class.  There's too many white belts.  When there should be blue belts already.  If you want your blue belt, you always need to come to class.  If you want to be a purple belt, then woo!  You need to be crazy!  And if you want to be a black belt, WOW!  Then you've gotta be REALLY crazy!  Crazy like me!  So stick with it.  Always come to class.  That is the only way."

I seriously want to be stronger.  I *NEED* to be stronger.  Constant progression & unfailing improvement is my newfound obsession... unbridled passion in life.  I really need to work on my cardio & strength training.  I have definitely evolved since my last fights last year in November/December.  I always enjoy gauging my strengths & weaknesses from being away from MMA for so long.  But now I know that I must continue.  For it is forbidden to dare speak such emboldened words of paramount strength without living up to them.  

Honor.
is.
Everything.